The Nature Conservancy
The Nature Conservancy (TNC) and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to seek opportunities relating to the conservation, understanding, management and sustainable use of the Nation’s water and related land resources. Both organizations will benefit from each other’s expertise in natural resources management and extensive networks of staff and partners. IWR plays a role in the implementation of this agreement.
About the Memorandum of Understanding
Signed: December 14, 2000
- W. William Weeks, Executive Vice-President (The Nature Conservancy)
- Dr. Joseph W. Westphal, Assistant Secretary of the Army (USACE)
Purpose: This MOU will facilitate effective and efficient management of important biological resources within the context of the Corps’ civil works and regulatory missions.
Terms: The partners will jointly pursue opportunities in:
- Protecting or restoring freshwater and coastal habitats for native plants and animals and natural communities
- Advancing our understanding of the distribution and condition of biological diversity associated with our Nation’s marine, coastal and riparian waters
- Promoting non-structural flood protection and other measures to maintain natural ecosystem functions at sustainable levels
- Encouraging water management measures that benefit native plants and animals and natural communities while meeting human needs
- Fostering demonstration projects to test promising water management strategies while monitoring their efficacy in meeting multiple objectives
- Cooperating in the monitoring and management of rare and endangered species and their habitat potentially affected by projects and programs pursuant to this MOU
- Promoting the gathering and sharing of scientific data and research by either entity as it may be related to projects of mutual interest and concern
About The Nature Conservancy
TNC is a charitable, nonprofit organization whose mission is to preserve plants, animals and natural communities that represent the diversity of life on Earth by protecting the lands and waters they need to survive.
Memorandum of Understanding (pdf, 162 KB)
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.