University of Arizona
The University of Arizona was one of the founding partners of ICIWaRM. William Shuttleworth and Juan Valdes of the SAHRA center, Department of Hydrology and Water Resources at that time, led the effort for the U of A to become a member of ICIWaRM and supported its creation.
IWR and U of A signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to facilitate cooperation in integrated water resources management, scientific research and capacity building. This partnership will lead to collaborative efforts furthering sustainable development and sound water management policies, particularly in arid and semi-arid climates.
About the Memorandum of Understanding
Signed: September 7, 2007
- Leslie P. Tolbert , Vice President for Research, Graduate Studies, and Economic Development (UAZ)
- Robert A. Pietrowsky , Director (IWR)
Purpose: This partnership will facilitate cooperation between the partners in integrated water resources management, scientific research and capacity building for developing countries and countries in transition.
Terms: The parties intend to jointly pursue opportunities in:
- Integrated water resources management, sustainable development in arid and semi-arid zones
- Infrastructure development and related engineering design standards and procedures
- Hydrologic analysis, risk analysis and systems analysis modeling tools
- Groundwater, prediction of flash floods and mud flows
- Environmental restoration, eco-hydrologic analysis and water quality
- Consensus building and conflict resolution
- Water policy, governance and institutional aspects
- Capacity building and training
- Educational methods and systems
About the University of Arizona
The University of Arizona is committed to fostering sustainable development and integrated water resources management in arid and semi-arid zones through the development of scientific research, education, training, policies, a network of scientists and a region-wide partnership.
Memorandum of Understanding (pdf, 132 KB)
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.