The Water Center for Arid and Semi-Arid Zones in Latin America and the Caribbean (CAZALAC) and IWR signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to further their cooperation in integrated water resources management and sustainable development. The partners’ joint activities will foster the development and improvement of water resources practices in arid and semi-arid zones of Latin America and the Caribbean.
About the Memorandum of Understanding
Signed: July 3, 2006
- Guido Soto, Director (CAZALAC)
- Robert A. Pietrowsky, Director (IWR)
Purpose:The partners intend to cooperate in integrated water resources management, scientific research and capacity building for developing countries and countries in transition.
Terms: The Parties are especially interested in pursuing cooperative opportunities in:
- Integrated water resources management and sustainable development in arid and semi-arid zones
- Infrastructure development and related engineering design standards and procedures
- Hydrologic analysis, risk analysis and systems analysis modeling tools
- Groundwater, prediction of flash floods and mud flows
- Environmental restoration, eco-hydrologic analysis and water quality
- Consensus building and conflict resolution
- Water policy, governance and institutional aspects
- Capacity building and training
- Educational methods and systems
About the Water Center for Arid and Semi-Arid Zones in Latin America and the Caribbean (CAZALAC)
This organization, under the auspices of UNESCO, promotes sustainable development and integrated water resources management in arid and semi-arid zones throughout Latin America and the Caribbean.
Memorandum of Understanding (pdf, 190 KB)