The Water Center for the Humid Tropics of Latin America and the Caribbean (CATHALAC) and IWR signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to collaborate on water resources research, technology transfer and capacity building. The MOU provides the framework for joint efforts regarding water resources and environmental management in order to accomplish common sustainable development goals.
About the Memorandum of Understanding
Signed: August 22, 2007
- Emilio Sempris, Director (CATHALAC)
- Robert A. Pietrowsky, Director (IWR)
Purpose: The partners intend to collaborate in integrated water resources management and the achievement of sustainable development objectives.
Terms: The Parties are interested in jointly pursuing opportunities in:
- Mutual cooperation in international and regional initiatives relating to integrated water resources management (IWRM) and sustainable development in the humid tropics zones
- Organization of and participation in water resources conferences, symposia, courses, workshops, exhibitions and other joint meetings of mutual interest
- Joint or cooperative water resources programs and projects of mutual benefit, including visits and exchange of scientists and other experts or technical personnel
- Water governance in relation to policy, institutional aspects, building consensus and conflict resolution
- Infrastructure development and related engineering design standards and procedures
- Groundwater, prediction of flash floods, mud flows and early warning systems
- Hydrologic, risk, economic and systems analysis modeling tools
- Environmental restoration, eco-hydrologic analysis and water quality
- Joint training and education, with a focus on methods and systems to enhance competency and develop capacity
About Water Center for the Humid Tropics of Latin America and the Caribbean (CATHALAC)
The Water Center for the Humid Tropics of Latin America and the Caribbean (CATHALAC) promotes sustainable development throughout the humid tropical regions of Latin America and the Caribbean.
Memorandum of Understanding (pdf, 183 KB)